If you’re a young girl who aspires to become a model then you may find some phrases very unfamiliar to you. To help you with that we prepared a list that includes the most common terms used in the industry.
● Age Category: This is used to show the age range you belong to. Usually, this includes people within 5 years over or under your actual range.
● Art Director: This is used to show the person responsible for developing the look of an ad, editing, and other presentations. He can either be an independent director or an employee of a magazine, photographer, or modeling agency.
● Art Model: Art modeling it’s a modeling category that involves posing for an art class and it’s students. Those models are used to help artists learn how to draw human forms or portraits which is a very hard skill to learn.
● Beauty Shot: Beauty shot it’s used for shoots that include your excellent makeup and hairstyle. Those shots are made to show your face in an elegant and beautiful style. This type of shot should not include heavy jewelry or anything else that hides your beauty features.
● Billing Form: Beauty forms are used by models to record the name of their clients, job description, payment, and expenses. The forms are given to everyone participating in the contract aka client, agency, and the model itself.
● Book: Whenever you see “book” mentioned at any point during your modeling career you should know it’s your model portfolio. That concludes your best photos.
● Booker: The booker is the person working for a modeling agency that gives you your modeling jobs. He is responsible for scheduling appointments and assignments for models to follow.
● Booking Conditions: That’s the factor that exists whenever a booking it’s made with a model. This specifies your payment, expenses, fee specifications whenever a canceling is made and a variety of other conditions.
● Booking Out: When a model is marked as booked out means that she won’t be available for the hours or days mentioned in the note. When a model books out, he or she makes specific hours or days they are unavailable for assignments.
● Buy-Out: This means that the model will only be offered a one-time payment for the use of their photos rather than having a regular salary.
● Call Back: Whenever you hear a call back you should know that’s like a second audition you need to do for your agent or scout before they make a final decision.
● Cattle Call: A cattle call is also known as a mass interview or audition where many models compete with each other for the job.
● Commercial Model: Commercial models are models who do everything that’s not related to high fashion jobs. They are best at advertising products and services. Check our other posts to find out how to become a commercial model.
● Contact Sheet: The sheet is developed by the photographer or modeling agency that allows them to select your photos faster and easier. It can either be in black and white or colored.
● Editorial Model: Editorial models are girls who work as fashion models for magazines such as Vogue, GQ, Details, and have clients from the best modeling houses in the world such as Armani, Gucci, Prada, etc.
● Fit Model: Fit models are girls used by designers or fashion houses on a regular basis. They need to have perfect measurements that would fit the industry standards. You can be of any size and age so it’s never too late to start being a fit model.
● Headsheet: Headshots are posters or brochures that your modeling agency presents to its clients. It usually consists of your stats and best shots. However, over the past years head sheets are rarely used since everything it’s digital now and agencies simply upload the models in their websites.